Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cinnamon Scones

Lots of times when my mom and I are out running errands together in the morning, we will stop in at Panera for a cinnamon scone and coffee. On a recent visit, their customer service was horrible, and even a complaint to their corporate office brought no apology or offer to make things right. This did not sit well with me, so I am now boycotting Panera.

Since this incident, my mom and I have been on a quest to find a delicious, bake-at-home recipe for cinnamon scones, and I think I came up with a winner this morning --- very easy to make, yet also very yummy!


Cinnamon Scones
1/3 cup butter
1 3/4 cups flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Hersheys cinnamon chips
6 Tbsp milk
1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut butter into the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in 1 egg, cinnamon chips and milk until dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, and knead 12 times. Roll out 1/2" thick, and cut into 16 scones. Place scones on ungreased cookie sheet, and brush with beaten egg. You can also sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown (10-12 minutes), and remove immediately to a cooling rack.

P.S. Zeke loved the leftover egg!

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I have a great cinnamon scone recipe which I will try to find and send you.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Thanks, Gerrie! I'd love to try it out.