Sunday, June 21, 2009

Photoshop "Cutout" Filter

An artist friend recently showed me a fun filter in Photoshop that can be used to simplify your photographs to basic design shapes and colors. The photo above was taken in my rock garden and is PJM rhododendron buds about to open. This is the photo that I will use to show you the possibilities of the "cutout" filter.

In Photoshop, choose Filter Artistic Cutout. I usually have the Edge Simplicity set to 1, and the Edge Fidelity set to 2. The image above shows the photo with the Number of Levels set to 4.

This is the same photo with the Number of Levels set to 8. Be sure to experiment with different numbers of levels with each of your photos. Depending on your needs, the optimum number can vary with each photograph. Feel free to email me with questions, and stay tuned for another fun Photoshop option tomorrow!

No comments: