Friday, October 24, 2008

The Making of a Folded Book

Yesterday, while walking, I saw a tree that had lost its leaves, yet still held an empty nest in its branches. Several leaves were caught in the nest, and it reminded me of some words that I have had sitting on my work table for a while --- "Four drops fell to earth making four sacred places". I decided to use a set of four leaves that I found to represent the "four drops" and to incorporate four nests as the "sacred places". Thus began a new book....

Layer 1: background papers, cut to page size, and a few additional details added with mulberry papers, cloth, found papers, the four leaves and the words.

Layer 2: acrylic paint --- stamped some metallic russet stripes and screened some black circles to represent the nests.

Layer 3: acrylic paint --- added some white snowflakes and gold text. The "snowflakes" were created by painting a hedge apple with white paint and rolling it across my pages.

Tomorrow........the finished book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, The two pieces arrived safely and are now hanging in my bedroom. Thank you!! Love these leaf works....

teri

Vivien Zepf said...

Thanks for the look into how you work. The book is beautiful.