Saturday, March 31, 2007

Painted Cloth

I have a stack of painted and/or dyed cloth that I consider to be "rejects" --- doesn't every dyer or painter?!? Usually these are pieces that can be salvaged, but I have to be in the right frame of mind to do so. Mostly I end up using them for test prints of screens. In the photo above is a brown piece of painted cloth that I used to test the screens for the mixed media piece that I posted yesterday. I think this cloth has potential now. Many times these reject pieces are helped by test prints, and I am convinced that it is because I am in a very free, no pressure, "can't make it worse" frame of mind. I'm painting with no expectations and no worries if it doesn't work. Too bad I can't approach all of my work this way.

3 comments:

artmixter said...

What's stopping you approaching more of your work this way? It's very liberating.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

In a nutshell --- the pressure of exhibition deadlines.

I have had very limited studio time recently, and it has caused me to step back and evaluate my priorities. Exhibitions is no longer at the top of my list. In fact, it may not even make the list for the rest of this year.

FARBTUPFER said...

I like these colours!