Sunday, June 26, 2011

Persistance is Rewarded

Gardening is not for the timid. Every time I plant seeds or bulbs, it is a crap shoot as to whether or not they will actually grow. I do much better with starter plants. This Spring I was suckered into ordering bulbs again as a fundraiser for a rescue. Here is my scorecard:
Grecian wildflowers - 0 out of 50 bulbs
Elodie Lily - 2 out of 3 bulbs
Tennessee Ostrich ferns - 2 out of 3 tubers
Caladium - 2 out of 5 bulbs
Not a great success ratio!

But ..... instead of focusing on that, I have been patiently watching my two Elodie lilies, slowly growing and maturing and preparing to bloom. Yesterday my patience was rewarded as the first bloom appeared. What a glorious sight! And this is why I keep trying every year.

3 comments:

Robbie said...

If at first you don't succeed...yada, yada, yada! Good for you!!! the flower is beautiful!

Carol Blackburn said...

Your lilly is lovely, Karen. Don't despair we have the same problem with bulbs and seeds not growing. I think we need to "sing" to them....LOL.

Anonymous said...

My average is better with the rescue flowers. Two Hostas growing well. Planted a root that broke off and it's growing, too. But then Hostas grow like weeds. My two tuberous begonias were doing quite well. But they have been drenched with all the rain and the leaves are turning a bit yellow. Will bring them inside if we get more rain, or they will die for sure.
LOVE the lily bloom, it's so pretty.