Saturday, August 22, 2009

Isolated Color

The photograph above is one that I took in the Monterey harbor last year. For some time now, I have wanted to figure out how to isolate parts of a photograph, so that they are in natural color, while the rest of the photograph becomes black & white. I don't know that my method is the best or most professional, but I finally found a method that works for me. The photograph above is my first attempt.

One thing I have decided is that a computer mouse is not a good tool for this. It requires more precision than is possible with a mouse. If it is a technique I find myself using a lot, it would be worthwhile to invest in a graphics tablet.

3 comments:

Mary Buek said...

I have been negligent in keeping up to date on my favorite blogs, but that means I got to see a bunch of your art as new this morning. Love it all, and congrats on the Fiber Art Space exhibit. Your piece is amazing. As for isolating a color in a black and white photo, I am very lazy. . . I use Picasa. It works pretty well if you don't need to be precise. . . I use it on pictures of the babies sometime. Their faces are in color, everything else is b&w.

Martys Fiber Musings said...

Wow, Karen, I'm impressed with your first...just love this look of isolating color. Show us more!

Leslie said...

Karen, it works for me. Great job. How about a tute on the process you used?