Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Final Layers

Allowed
3.75" x 3.75"
$35


I didn't remember to stop and photograph this piece after each of the remaining layers, but I think you'll be able to clearly see them all in this photograph of the finished piece. First I masked off a couple areas of the work and spritzed some gold acrylic paint flecks. Then I stamped a date on the upper lefthand corner with permanent ink. The next step was to use some blue and purple watercolor crayons to tone down some of the white gridwork. Finally the whole thing was sealed and left to dry.

I hope seeing the process of this piece will inspire you to try some of these techniques yourself, and hopefully you've learned that even if the majority of a base layer is covered with future layers, it still adds to the texture and interest of the piece.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

Thank you! I enjoyed watching your progress and process for doing your beautiful collages.

Judy Momenzadeh said...

Thank you Karen for sharing your process with us. I love your work so really enjoy learning how you work through the process.

Cynthia said...

Loved seeing your process, Karen. Thanks for taking the time to document it for us.