Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Garden Bounty

I don't know where all the hours in the day go during the summer! By the time I am done watering, weeding, and picking in the gardens, it is noon. This afternoon I ground up vegetables for zucchini relish, and now they are soaking until tomorrow. Then I will need to cook and can the relish. This relish is so delicious that I can't imagine eating a burger without it!

Zucchini Relish:
2-3 medium zucchini
4 medium onions
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
4 carrots
3 TB pickling salt (non-iodized)
Grind up and mix and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning, drain well, add to syrup & cook 35 minutes. Then put in jars and seal.
Syrup:
2 cups cider vinegar
4 cups sugar (I usually cut back on this)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp celery seed
1 rounded TB cornstarch

No comments: