Monday, June 08, 2009

Patrick Dougherty

These are photos of the sculpture that Patrick Dougherty created on the grounds of the Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas in Lawrence during the month of May. I was thrilled to get the chance to explore and photograph this structure. This particular sculpture is approximately two stories tall, and all of the saplings used in the sculpture were harvested locally from renewable sources. In September, Patrick will be coming to Omaha, creating a sculpture on the grounds of the Joslyn Art Museum, so I will get another chance to watch him create.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, I love him. We have an installation of his on The Colorado College campus right now, it's suppose to last about 2 years, I enjoy seeing it when I drive downtown.

Mary Buek said...

Karen, you have seen more in your last few days around my territory than I have in all the time I've lived here. The collage workshop sounds great. Was it offered through the university? Was it related to fiber arts? Next time you come, you have to call me so you can show me around.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

The collage workshop was offered through a group that I belong to. It was a very basic workshop --- create 3 collages from your own photos, select your favorite collage, enlarge it, make patterns, and stitch it in cloth. I got caught up in making collages and totally ignored the cloth part of the workshop. Somehow I am always the rebel of the class if I take a workshop. The good news is that I have continued with the collages since I returned home, and I now have a new series of 18 pieces in progress.

Mary Buek said...

Karen, I just happened across a magazine in the bookstore yesterday featuring about six pages of Patrick Dougherty's work. It is truly amazing. Thanks again for sharing.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Karen, I love this home/sculpture. It says much to me about what a home is, how we are part of the animal kingdom, how to use the natural materials around us, and, about beauty and design. Thanks for the photo. Rosemary

Connie Akers said...

I love Patrick Dougherty's work. I saw it at the Phoenix Botanical Gardens a few years ago. Can you imagine having this kind of magic space when you were a child? Your travels sound wonderful.