Thursday, May 14, 2009

Time Out for Watercolors

6.5" x 6.5"
SOLD

When I want to learn a new technique/medium, I search out an artist whose work I admire and approach them about private lessons. This is how it happened that years ago I took private lessons from a local watercolor artist. Coming from an oil/acrylic painting background, I initially struggled with watercolors. It takes a very different way of thinking. But I persevered and grew to love watercolor painting. Then I got caught up in acrylic painting on cloth, and somehow my watercolors ended up on the back burner. Recently I have read two artists' blog posts about their return to watercolors, and it inspired me to dig mine out. I had forgotten how "zen" it is and how satisfying it is to finish painting and not have to think about how to finish the edges or hang it or embellish it --- it is done.

The watercolor above was inspired by a cluster of mushrooms that I photographed in a yard in Lawrence, KS during one of my trips there last year. I loved all the shades of brown and textures. I'm not sure if I did the mushrooms justice, but I am happy with the final result. Now I am contemplating a watercolor of Zeke.

7 comments:

Mary Buek said...

Mushrooms in Lawrence, huh? Whoa, girl, what segment of the popoulation were you hanging out with? No, really, this painting is great. I love it. You need to show us more or your watercolors. And the "Natural Lines" series is super, too.

Miki Willa said...

This is wonderful! I love the colors and the richness you created. Fantastic.

Rebecca said...

Karen,
Your watercolor is beautiful, very well done - a nice mix of realism and abstract. It *is* good to be able to use another medium - one that comes together fast and, as you said, doesn't need a "binding."

I love the post from Fiona on slowing down, too. I needed that today, thanks for posting it here.

Regina said...

Marvelous rich color & texture!
I could imagine this being scanned and used as a fabric print for your art quilts.

Ginny Gaskill said...

I don't normally leave suggestions on comment areas but have you thought about turning that mushroom painting into fabric. It would be gorgeous. I don't remember the name but there is a company that does that for I think $15 a yard. Just a thought.

Fannie said...

wow, karen. this painting is outstanding. i would enjoy seeing more of your watercolors.

hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Kathleen Botsford said...

I thought it was a photo! Fabulous painting!