Friday, April 24, 2009

National Arbor Day

Today is Arbor Day, a nationally celebrated holiday that encourages tree planting and conservation. National Arbor Day was founded by J. Sterling Morton in 1872 and is celebrated on the last Friday of April. Morton was a pioneer in preserving the native trees and advocating tree planting. Because his homestead, Arbor Lodge, is in Nebraska City, most Nebraskans feel a special kinship to this holiday. I personally cannot imagine my life or yard without trees. They provide shade and privacy for us, as well as shelter for the wildlife in our yard.

The photo above was taken as the sun was setting on the lake by our house. The land around the lake is protected, so there are many native trees and grasses and wildlife. It is one of the reasons that I love walking there. This winter I was inspired by the shapes and designs of the barren Winter trees, and most of my photos were taken by this lake.

No comments: