Friday, March 27, 2009

Neutrals

3/24/09

This collage was a personal challenge to create a collage using only neutrals. Usually when I start out with that as my goal, I get to a point where I feel like I have to add a splash of color to make it "pop". This time I decided I would re-work the collage if necessary, rather than succumbing to the use of color to make the collage viable. Surprisingly, this collage went together fairly quickly, and I am happy with the result.

It is good to stretch our creativity --- with different color palettes, techniques, subject matter, etc. That is what keeps our art fresh and helps us grow as artists.

5 comments:

Mary Buek said...

Karen, I like this collage a lot. I'm the same way, it's a struggle for me to use neutrals, too. I guess when it becomes second nature, I'll move on to other challenges.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I like this too. Being the lover of neutrals that I am. I like the calm feeling it evokes.

bailey said...

I saw the "ey" as the pop of "color" you love--isn't white a color? :+)
vicki

Nancy said...

Very nice, Karen! I agree...we must stretch our creativity.....I'm working on that, along with discipline! I admire the discipline you have to create something each day.

Regina said...

I really like this one. In a way, neutrals are freeing because it's often easier to decipher the values. At least it is for me.