Thursday, July 24, 2008

Anyone know its name?

Zeke and I walk in our neighborhood park several times a day, and yesterday a glorious transformation had taken place. I have had my eye on these shrubs for a couple of weeks now. I love their little seed clusters! For days the seeds have been green, and overnight they have changed to this fiery red. I love them!

I have no idea what type of plant this is --- can anyone help? They look like miniature maple seeds, but the leaves don't look like a maple, and these are shrubs, not trees. I would love to know the name of this bush, so leave me a comment if you know (or even if you have a guess that I could investigate).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, right away because of your description I thought of a Hedge Maple (acer campestre). But the leaves don't match. Perhaps it is a Greek Maple (Acer heldreichii trautvetteri), my last guess is a Redvein maple (Acer rufinerve).
Hope this helps.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Karen, I had a friend, who runs a nursery, look at this plant. He said it is definitely an acer, or in the maple family. He was puzzled by the color, and said he'd have to look it up. He said the seed pods and the maple shaped leaves told him it is an acer, but exactly which one was not in his immediate knowledge. He may or may not get back to me, but this confirms what debkolar said, too, and what you guessed. Rosemary

sharon said...

You can go to the Kemper Center for Home Gardening website:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantinfo.shtml

and probably find something now that you know what type plant it is.......it's a neat site....affiliated with the MO Botanical Garden in StL