Monday, May 19, 2008

Handmade Papers

Bamboo Leaves

Maple Seedpods

Yucca Leaves

Corn Husks, Garlic, Onions, Flowers

I have spent the last few days traveling through Missouri and Kansas, working with other artists and attending a couple of workshops. The first stop was Thursday in Columbia, MO. I spent the day with Leandra Spangler, and Rosemary Claus-Gray, making sheets of handmade paper in Leandra's studio. I had taken a papermaking class from Leandra last September, and I was ready for another day of pulp and deckles. It was a fast-paced day of production work, and I ended up with a decent stack of papers that will hopefully last through a few months of collage making.

4 comments:

Seth said...

Such great texture to this paper. It must have been fun. I really like the color and the loose threads in the maple seedpod paper.

Karoda said...

These are very nice!!! Looking forward to seeing how you'll use them.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Thanks! The irregular edges on the maple seedpod paper were achieved by not using a deckle with the frame.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Karen, these papers, and the books on the May 20th blog, are wonderful to see presented so well. The individual pieces of hand made paper are so artful all by themselves. While I have similar paper, as we worked side by side in that creative play day, seeing it presented individually, clearly and beautifully makes me want to go to my studio and make something from them. Your blog captures the essence of our paper making experience and the beauty of the paper. Rosemary